Maria Mena Interview in Stella Magasinet

Maria Mena Interview in Stella Magasinet

Here is a little translation / summary of an interview Maria did in the current issue of Stella Magasinet.

For Maria Mena (27) feminism is also instagramming a YSL bag

The article starts off talking about Christmas time and Christmas traditions,

things Maria isn't too familiar with.

- "We are not a very close family, so we didn't celebrate Christmas

together. It wasn't important to me. It might sound sad, but it was a choice I

made. I dreaded that time of the year, so I wasn't seeking it. Instead I

watched TV alone and ate Grandiosa."

The article then continues to say that the fascinating thing about Maria is

that even though she has been sharing part of her life through music for the

past 11 year, the audience does not really know her.

- "There are certain things about my story that shouldn't get out. I think

people wouldn't be able to handle it. So at a certain point I learned that I

have to give them enough so that they don't want more."

When Maria was younger, she shared everything with the journalists. She thought

they wanted to get to know her, be her friends.

- "Because of certain things in my life, I grew up pretty fast. I can see

now that it was okay for me to stop school in 10th grade and start working. It

was perfect for me. But at the beginning I shared way too much. A couple of

things, like the relationship with my mom, that I should have shut up about. I

do that now."

She has developed in the way she deals with journalists, but also in the way

she approaches releasing new music. She doesn't need the acknowledgement

anymore. She doesn't feel like she needs to justify herself anymore.

- "The reviews are well deserved, but for me personally that doesn't mean

anything. I knew it was good. All my albums deserve 5 stars."

- "Not 6?"

- "No. There the grandma in me comes out. Only amatures are

satisfied."

She's not an amature. She's the boss. On her new album, she worked with new

producers and new sounds and said stop when it became too much.

- "I have learned that I'm the boss. It says Maria Mena on the album,

that's my name. Mats, one of the producers, was scared of me in the first

months. He said 'you're so harsh and strict' and I just went 'yes I am, I'm the

boss'." She laughs.

She has learned trusting her gut feeling over the years. Things she has learned

when she was working in the US as an 18 year old and anorexic.

- "I was really sick and out there with two grown up men and just got

sicker. At some point I sat in Salt Lake City in the middle of the night,

called the Norwegian record company and said: 'Guys, I'm going home!' I had

never had a dream of being there. I thought it was unpleasant and wanted to go

home. It wasn't the performance on Letterman, the decision was made prior to

that. There was a turning point when I learned to say no. After that I've said

no a lot."
      She

sees the past 11 years as phases of her life that are over when she releases

the record.

- "It's always to steps forward and one step back. During the step back, I

will get the inspiration for my next record. I have started to realize that

getting to know myself is an ongoing process. I can change moods pretty fast

and that can scare people who are not used to that and make them insecure. I am

working on that."

Life has its ups and downs for Maria, but more of an up.

- "I don't even out. But I find a balance in the unbalanced, normality in

the extreme."

In between records she takes time off to think.

- "Even if it is only a week, sit down and think about if what you are

doing is really what you want to do. If it feels tiresome, there should be a

good reason why you keep on doing it."

Once, in a dark time in between, Maria ended up walking the dog Tara for a

short while.

- "Now spinning works well for me in those times. I am not in doubt that I

wanna do music. It is what makes me feel complete as a person."

Spinning has almost taken religious proportions. It is easy to get worried for

someone who talks so openly about eating disorders and other obsessions.

- "You're not afraid this will turn into an obsession since you are so

involved with it?"

- "Yes, that's why I'm very concerned with balance."

- "That must be a scary feeling."

- "Yeah, but I know myself so well by now that I know when I am crossing a

boundary. That's when I stop. My obsessions could result in me eating salmon

for lunch for five weeks. At the end I'm sick of salmon. It still surprises me

what compulsive thoughts can be about. But I'm done with that. I have actively

cut down on exercising. I am where I want to be and train three times a week. I

like it. I have a female body and I thrive in it. I don't wanna become thinner

now."

- "You have said earlier that you were happy with your body as well."

- "I lied then."

She felt like that at a certain time people were tired of talking about the

illness. Last time she photographed for Stella she only wanted to wear certain

things. Not this time.

- "I have lost a lot of weight since then. So it is easier to feel

comfortable in clothes. I didn't wanna look like that anymore, so I had to find

my way back while finding a balance at the same time. It took a year and now

I'm where I wanna be. It's also about standing on a stage in front of people

and feeling comfortable. On stage I am in my emotions and my body and I don't

wanna think about if that guy on the first row can see my tummy."

Even though she realized that the path is the goal , she found a comfort she

didn't know before.

- "It took me a while to build that foundation, but I did that now and I

have that foundation."

She believes in her talent now.

- "Basically, I'm a talented song writer. No matter, if I am in a

relationship, married or not, or if somebody has lost all my money."

Financially, she's safe. She is one of the best earning female artists of the

country.

- "I don't care about how many records I sell or what I earn. I get my

monthly pay on an account that I don't even know the account number to. An

accountant keeps track of those things. Earlier today I had to call him,

because I had a high phone bill and I couldn't pay it. My friends shake their

heads when I tell them I'm broke."

- "But it's never too bad, if you get to high of a bill?"

- "I probably know I won't. But you should never simplify money. From a

material standpoint, my biggest comfort in life is my appartment."

Actually, the appartment represents more than material comfort. When she was

younger, she moved 20 times. That feeling of restlessnes sticks.

- "We moved because we had to give up the appartment. We were thrown out.

When you're a kid and see mom and dad cry because they don't know where to

live, you have to move back to grandma, your mom has to take an extra job and

your dad is out playing all summer, then you get a little scared. So the most

important thing I did in my life was invest in an appartment. If I lose

everything, I still have a place to live."

She doesn't see herself as a very political person. Gay rights are important

for her, she gets angry when someone uses the word 'homo' as an insult.

-"What else can you get upset about?"

- "Bad manners, commentary sections, racism and that there is poverty in

our country. I don't tolerate that. I pay 50% in taxes. That means I give away

half of my money. And I do that because I wish to live in a free country where

we care for each other. I get irritated when I read stories about people who

fall out of the system. The way the US system irritates me. I have a friend who

got cancer. Two days later he was operated. That's when I knew that paying

taxes this year was a good thing."

At home, whenever Maria has found something nice to wear, her husband Eivind

takes pictures of her and she puts them on Instagram.

- "I love Instagram. I wonder why people always ask why I take pictures of

clothes. I've always been interested in clothes. You've just never heard it

before. I think I have one of Norways nicest closets and I wanna show

that."

Those who follow Maria on Instagram have probably seen some luxury brands such

as Céline, Balenciaga and YSL.

- "I have calmed down a little with the clothes now. But this one I use a

lot"

She says and points at a black YSL.

- "I love it. It gives me so much. Yes, it is superficial, we agree on

that. But that is also a part of me. I think that is feminism. The whole woman.

Just because I like clothes, it doesn't mean I'm not intelligent."

- "I guess that's what you cann guccifeminism?"

- "Call it what you want."

- "Do you see yourself as a feminist?"

- "Yes I do."

- "What do you think defines a feminist in 2013?"

- "The freedom to chose yourself. If you want to be a stay at home mom and

that fulfills you, then you are a feminist. It annoys me when people say that

you are opressed or there's something wrong with being a stay at home mom. That

you have to go out and fight. Some of the most important fights are fought at

home behind closed doors with your kids."

Social media has given Maria a chance to show her funny side.

- "When Twitter came, people started laughing at my jokes, my self irony and

I thought it was about time. I am everything. The sensitive Maria doesn't

appear much outside her appartment.

- "Is it important to you that people get to see both sides?"

- "Yes, because people get a little shocked when they meet me. I wanna

show that I am more than who I am on my records. I don't like it when people

are careful around me, they think I can't handle it."

One of the reasons why she developed this rough humor is because she wanted to

be one of the guys on tour. When she realized as a 17 year old they were trying

to protect her, she decided to get rougher than them. Now she's about to go out

on tour with the guys again.

- "It's so much fun. I love it! But it probably doesn't suit

everyone."

- "Or maybe forever?"

- "I definately want to hold on to it a little longer. I need to take care

of myself right now. Nobody else. At some point I guess I have to make a

choice, if I want kids or not."

Maria thinks it is wrong to ask, if somebody wants to have kids. She wouldn't

tell the press first either. But then there is that song "All the

Love" that is adressed to possible future daughters.

- "It must be allowed to ask, what you want to pass on?"

- "I have thought about that a lot. What did I get from my mom and dad. I

don't think I would have had the job I have today if it wasn't for their need

to be individuals. We are not a very tight family, but the love for words I got

from my mom. I want to pass that on. I think I got that from my mom reading

poems to me and starting to laugh."

- "I always got the confirmation that I am a good person and it shouldn't

surprise, if guys want to be with you and kiss you. She was very good at that.

I have never been in doubt that I have something to offer a man. I never saught

validation in that way. What exactly it was I don't know, but in my youth, when

my friends got hurt and lost their virginity way to early and all that, I had a

form of self worth. In all my self doubt. I need to use some energy on finding

out what that was. I need to pass that on, if I ever get a daughter. And then I

nedd to be a little better at building her self confidence."